Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lessons Learned

I've learned a few lessons this week, and I've learned the value (and necessity) of recovery days.

Blisters are a reoccurring issue for me after running more than three miles. I've received some great advice from other runners and I think that I've found the combination that is going to work ... fingers crossed. If you get blisters, you can't stop training while they heal. You have to keep going. Unfortunately, if you continue, you break the blisters open and they get worse, not better. Here's what seems to work for me. 1) Non-cotton socks. Turns out that cotton holds in moisture, and when you run, you have moisture whether from snow, water puddles, or sweat. I've been wearing my Team In Training wick dry socks. 2) Two pairs of socks. Blisters are caused by friction of something rubbing against the skin. When there are two socks, the majority of the friction is between the two socks and not the sock and foot. 3) New-Skin liquid bandage. I brushed on a double coat of the liquid bandage over my current blisters and other areas prone to blistering. 4) Looser laces. I was pulling my shoelaces as tight as possible but it was getting uncomfortable and there wasn't a benefit that I could tell.

I hope that, continuing with these four things will keep the blisters away, or if not away will keep them from bothering me during my runs.

stretch
This photo is from Flickr user lobstar28.
I am currently typing this post, sitting on the couch with a heating pad under my calves, and there are two reasons.

The first reason is my own stupid fault. After my run on Friday, I felt great! I walked in the house, got my water and a snack, and chatted with my family. Everyone was in a good mood and talkative (possible a result of the beautiful weather). Time got away from and I needed to get dinner going and then take a shower. When i finally sat down two hours later, I realized that I did not stretch after my run and I was starting to feel the effects. My calf muscles were tight and knotted. The next day, they were still very tight so I took extra time to stretch well. I didn't have trouble during the run, so all seemed well.

The second reason I'm sitting with my legs propped up on the couch like a prima donna is because after my long run yesterday, I decided to wear my cute boots with a two inch heel. Bad Idea! Walking around in heels stretched my calves in the wrong way and I didn't realize it until I took my boots off five hours later and my calves SCREAMED!

So, the lessons learned: Always, always, always stretch before and after a run, and refrain from heels for at least a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment